Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My Favorite AAC apps for infants and toddlers with special needs

I have been asked this question a few times lately so here is my list of what I use consistently.  I am not a SLP (speech/language pathologist) or trained in anything but some basic alternative/augmentative communication (AAC), but with my 20 years experience with infants and toddlers with multiple medical and/or developmental issues I always go back to starting easy for me, the family and the child so we all start out with success.  So far I think the simplest apps that give the most bang for the buck are 1) TapSpeak Button for iPad - Ted Conley  $9.99 works like a Big Mac button to make a simple request, 2) Answers:YesNo HD - SimplifiedTouch  $1.99 works like a twin talk device with two choices but does not offer pictures as the choices but it does offer choice between two words but have found it successful with many repetitions and HOW powerful when a child can answer a yes/no question and finally 3) iCommunicate for iPad - Grembe Inc.  $49.99so far is my favorite app to put in my pictures and voice for choice making in multiple activities.  I am going to try TapSpeak Sequence for iPad - Ted Conley this weekend which is similar to a Big Mack Step by Step and as soon as VerbalVictor comes out this week I plan on buying that too.  I am sure Proloquo2Go - AssistiveWare is wonderful but at this point I cannot afford to purchase that app and I am concerned it may be advanced for little ones but I would love to try it out.

Apple iTunes

5 comments:

  1. What age can a child start using an Ipad for help with speech? I am very curious about eventually trying one out with my son but he is only 21 months old. He has a diagnosis of MERLD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scientists have invented latest technology which is Ipads and these are most important part of our lives. We can carry it anywhere where we want to go, children are also interested in Ipads because they can read with the help of Ipads and children can see their favorite poems on Ipads as well but our children also need osteopathy Canberra because with the excessive use of Ipad there is a chance of deformity of their spine due to which their hump is expected and to avoid that problem I suggest that they must take their children to the osteopath.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These little attractive apps are looks to me very beautiful and I hope that it will make our life extra ordinary best essays. I am very keen to make my life very good through these type of extra ordinary apps and entertain my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome and interesting article. Great things you've always shared with us. Thanks. Just continue composing this kind of post. designer glasses for kids

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post but I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this subject? I’d be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Appreciate it! toddler

    ReplyDelete